As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to take massive tolls on lives and livelihoods at home and abroad, students have been thrown into turmoil and are facing uncertainties about funding, graduation, research opportunities, and career choices. At Shorenstein APARC, we are committed to supporting Stanford students as best we can. We are therefore announcing today new quarter-long research assistantships for current undergraduate and graduate students working in the area of contemporary Asia. These opportunities are in addition to our recent internship and fellowship offerings.
Shorenstein APARC is seeking to hire motivated and dedicated undergraduate and graduate students as paid research assistants who will work with assigned APARC faculty members on projects focused on contemporary Asia, studying varied issues related to the politics, economies, populations, security, foreign policies, and international relations of the countries of the Asia-Pacific region.
2020-21 research assistant positions will be offered in the fall, winter, spring, and summer quarters. We expect to hire up to 10 research assistants per quarter.
Students should submit their applications by the following deadlines:
- Applications for fall 2020 by September 1, 2020;
- Applications for winter 2020 by December 1, 2020;
- Applications for spring 2021 by March 1, 2021.
The positions are open to current Stanford students only. Undergraduate- and graduate-level students are eligible to apply.
All positions will be up to 15 hours per week for undergraduate students and up to 20 hours per week for graduate students (minimum of 10 hours per week). The hourly pay rate is $17 for undergraduate students, $25 for graduate students.
Hiring is contingent upon verification of employment eligibility documentation.
The fall-quarter employment start date is September 16, 2020.
Successful candidates may request appointment renewal for a consecutive quarter.
- Complete the application form and submit it along with these 3 required attachments:
- A cover letter (up to 1 page)
- Completed Student Information Sheet
- Arrange for a letter of recommendation from a faculty to be sent directly to APARC. Please note: the faculty members should email their letters directly to Kristen Lee at email@example.com.
We will consider only applications that include all supporting documents.